Saturday, April 02, 2005

I only want to see you praying in the papal reign/Papal reign, papal reign

I don't mean to sneer at catholicism or the pontiff but rather at the media coverage.

"Is the mood any different in St. Peter's Square?" Yeah, everybody was sad but now they're doing The Wave.

"We're going to continue looking at the pope, particularly his relationship to the Catholic church." As opposed to what, his relationship to General Motors?

I realize that these folks are having to make-do on an ad-lib basis...they are going live and they have to fill that air with something, anything. But they babble on and on and people get annoyed and then journalists wonder, yet again "why aren't we appreciated???"

In more important news, go Illinois!

2 comments:

Lillian said...

My oh my, I can relate to this. I find myself making coarse & snarky comments about this event & Terry Schiavo's passing - out of the discomfort that comes from religion being flung in the air like series of dusty rugs.

Pam said...

I've found a little time for sneering at Catholicism too. I can't help it. I don't GET it. I was watching the news the other day and thought this: The Catholic church has more power than the WTO! They determine the rights and roles of women in a HUGE percentage of the world! It's hard NOT to be snarky. It's going to be interesting to see who they appoint/elect/annoint next.