Wednesday, February 02, 2005

That book meme

From Thought Dreams:

That Book Meme

  1. Grab the nearest book.
  2. Open the book to page 123.
  3. Find the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
  5. Don’t search around and look for the “coolest” book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.

"Doubtless one leading reason why the world declines honoring us whalemen, is this: they think that, at best, our vocation amounts to a butchering sort of business; and that when actively engaged therein, we are surrounded by all manner of defilements." - Moby Dick by Herman Melville [yes, I'm currently reading the whale's tale right now]

Obligatory music note - currently playing: Hard Times (Stephen Foster) as sung by Mirah

7 comments:

Sinical said...

There aren't any books in sight over here... and if we were at my house it wouldn't be much better. I don't think my Gangster Rap Coloring book goes up to 120 pages. And it certainly doesn't have any insightful lines like the one you posted.

Lillian said...

Mine goes like this: "He never finishes a conversation without summarizing the actions to be taken." Execution, the Discipline of getting things done

man, I'm at work too much.

Pam said...

I had to run this through Babelfish, because it's like that where we are:
"...this hollow divided into a left and a right hollow above is only by one..."
"...in eine linke und eine rechte hohle geteilt. oben ist diese hohle nur durch eine..."

Memes. Culturally specific? Maybe.

Constance said...

The closest thing to me is a VWR scientific catalog and the line is: "The two-chamber bath features independent controls and thermostats for each chamber." It's from a book, but probably not what you were looking for.

Here's another try: "I'm afraid I must ask you to walk after your exhilarating glide in the sky." Not quite Melville, but better than a scientific catalog in my opinion.

Drew said...

"Box Sealing tape (A83750-2-CR) and one refillable"

listening to The Dawn and Drew Show archives

www.dawnanddrew.com check it out y'all. Sadly I am not that drew.

Matty said...

From _The Tipping Point_: "Something that stuck in my mind was when Kermit would hold his finger up to the screen and draw an animated letter, you'd see kids holding their fingers up and drawing a letter along with him."

Jason B said...

Maybe all the Chicago hipsters are on to this craze Drew, but I've just heard about podcasting in the last week. Probably has to do with the name - I don't have an iPod, so I won't be casting it anywhere.

Anyhoo, it would be great to see an article on it - I'm about ready to purchase an MP3 player, and the ins and outs of podcasting are a little confusing.