Thursday, January 27, 2005

Amazon Maps

Neat/anachronistic post by way of Metafilter: Amazon Maps. Starting in selected cities (lived in by over half of Hard To Get's posters), you can click through the A9 Yellow Pages, find the store/coffeehouse/restaurant location near you, then see a picture of it on the block.

Weird, I thought they stopped these quixotic kinds of projects back in '99 or '00. Here's a view of the local bakery, Larsens. You can walk up or down the street from there and see the Thai cafe or the Bible College. They missed the nearby Tully's by half a block. Course I hear the espresso kiosk in the PetCo parking lot makes good coffee too, but with belly shirts.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've quite enjoyed watching the open source knowledge projects get off the ground like Wikipedia and MusicBrainz. I haven't quite figured out how I want to participate in those - yet. If the momentum keeps up, it's a return to the participatory communities that existed pre-modernism (i.e. virtually building barns).

Obligatory music link: ~Scape records (links to listen to Deadbeat's release on the page). With my (and now many American's) hip-hop background, I find nu-dub to be the most consistently funky and unobtrusive headspace to be in, despite its often non-organic nature. Yet, I can't find this music in any American record stores, beyond random smatterings in small stores like Seattle's Wall of Sound. Do we need more House music? ~Scape is the brainchild of German Stefan Betke, and tends towards the clickity end of the dub spectrum, but the schweet elements are still in there. If only I didn't have to pay import prices.

5 comments:

Sinical said...

On the Amazon maps subject - one of my co-workers showed me this site where you can get real time views from select places in NC. I figure this would be pretty cool to take a look at tomorrow when we are due for a snow storm. Click on Sugar Mountain to see the place where JB and I "skied" down the mountain face first.

www.highcountrywebcams.com

Jason B said...

Nice - North Carolina has more snow than us this year. That reminds me of the first tragic time I took the lift up to the top. Dad had me scared out of my mind that I wouldn't exit the lift properly. So I dove off, and too early. The lift ran right over me without a scratch, but Dad wasn't nearly, looking underneath the lift at me just the lift swung 180 degrees, unceremoniously dumping him out on the ground.

Pam, you do any alpine skiing in Austria, or is it all cross-country? I remember being 10 and oh so impressed with the covered gondola lifts they had in the Swiss alps, compared with the rickety wagons we rode up to the top of Sugar Mountain. I wasn't nearly so impressed with the Swiss hot chocolate. The real whipped cream they put on top was so bland. Where was the Cool Whip?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Matty here. I've had a few problems logging back into the blog as my password seems to have flown away.

Regarding the Amazon maps, i have just gone ga-ga over the Miscrosoft Terraserver site. Jason & Lillian can find themselves here http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/addressimage.aspx?t=4&s=9&lon=-122.37832985&lat=47.69462016&alon=-122.37832985&alat=47.69462016&w=3&opt=0&qs=1537+NW+90th+street%7cSeattle%7cWA%7c&addr=1537+NW+90th+St%2c+Seattle%2c+WA+98117


I've been using the site for years to check out mountaineering approaches along ridgelines and drainages.

Warning: this can get addicting. One drawback: you never get any bellyshirts.

Jason B said...

Definitely addictive Matt. Will we use political maps ten years from now, or will it all be satellite imagery?

Is it that easy to understand how the mountain pass works from above like that though? Seems like you'd have problems with determing the vertical changes (i.e. depth perception from above), which would determine if you could walk or if you'd have to crawl up the side of the saddle between two peaks.

Amazon said...

I may may have some good or bad news about Amazon!

Amazon Rated & You May Not Like The Results. Amazon has been rated and you need to check it out ASAP